- Visit the charity website and look for the social media buttons -- Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. Be sure you follow, like, or whatever action is required to participate, and also be sure to add a personal comment whenever possible. Spend some time on their social media sites and re-tweet, share, or join in on the topics that seem most important or timely. This type of involvement is huge for any organization and can't be overstated. If you discover that the charity is NOT on one of your favorite social media sites, you can still promote them on your own, by sharing a link to their site.
- Go back to the charity website and look for their promotions or fundraisers. Again, many times it's just your participation that matters. For example, The Animal Rescue Site wants you to click every day to donate free pet food. It costs nothing but a few seconds of your time to help support this project.
- Blog about your favorite charity, create a Facebook page for it, or promote it on 3rd party sites. An example is JustCoz. Here you can donate a tweet a day for your favorite charity (and add your own if you control their Twitter account).
- Do you sell online? OnlineAuction.com has a whole section for charity listings called OLA Cares.
- Are you a writer? Squidoo generates revenue through page views, and you can choose a charity to receive your share of those revenues. Write a "lens" about your favorite cause, then choose to donate your share to that organization.
- Have a little spare time? Here are the results of a Google search for "your favorite charity." Look how many places you can go to promote your cause, FREE!
Now I'm going to take my own advice and promote my favorite charity, the Love Your Pet Expo Sanctuary for Special Needs Animals. If you're in search of a worthy cause to practice on, please try this one.