Friday, August 7, 2009

Garden History - Chapter One

Welcome to My Garden History and Journal - Chapter One

Let me begin by saying that I have been an amateur gardener since Moby Dick was a minnow! My mother gave me green bean and radish seeds when I was 7 or 8 years old and she let me plant them on the side of the house. I guess she figured that those would germinate quickly because a small kid would want to see things grow fast Pretty, smart on her part! As I grew older she would let me help her in the little plot garden she had created, every spring. It was always so much fun when the first radishes came to harvest and we could have, open face, radish and butter sandwiches for breakfast! What an excellent treat. I look forward to those radishes every year.

Then the "teen years" and gardening went a little by the wayside because I was just too busy. But there were summers with my Grand Mother, who had a 50 acre farm, and we had to harvest the hay for the livestock, corn for the chickens and horses. Plus, there always seemed to be house plants to water. Plants and animals were always in my life but animals will have to take second place to this Garden room, :).

Got married... had apartment and asked landlord if I could plant flowers outside of my apartment window...they said yes... Okay... I did!
Baby to come... no room... First house ensued... Big yard... Stay at home Mom...
What to do... plant a garden. Boy, was it fun to watch newly weds dig a garden!!

This was the garden where I learned that no matter what the package of seed said go with the flow of the current weather in your area. I wanted to grow Iceberg lettuce, everyone around me said it was just too hot in our area to grow because the summers were too hot. So, I planted the seed in the late fall. I saw the small seed pop up and then forgot about the garden because all the leaves fell and just figured everything had died (we were too lazy to rake leaves!) Well, at the end of February, when it was a little warmer, I was strolling around and kicking some of the leaves aside (the leaves became an insulator) and WOWWIEE.... I found heads of Iceberg lettuce!!! What a surprise. You don't get a tomato with your lettuce salad at that time of year but the lettuce is still great.

This installment One....... This will be a continuing saga........ More to come!

No comments: