Saturday, January 21, 2012

Is It Just Me

I just got a letter in the mail from our congressman for the state of North Carolina. It was trying to explain to me about what is wrong with our postal system. This letter was mailed in an envelope with the return address of "U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, WASHINGTON, DC" and marked "Public Document" and no postage on it.

It said that we may have to go to a six day delivery period for a letter. It blames all this on the fact that people are no longer mailing letters but are using the internet instead.

I have a problem with this way of thinking. Before we had sites where we could sell items and ship them through the USPS where did they get the bigger bucks. If I send a letter it cost 43 cents now and if I ship a package it cost no less than $3.00 with delivery confirmation. I do not ship without it.

Now 12 years ago I was new to selling on line but as time went on there were days I shipped only one package and other days when I shipped as much as 14 packages. Where does all that money go.

Every time I go in the post office there is a waiting line with people mailing out packages and bulk letters. I just do not understand how some are costing the PO so much by not mailing a letter when so many are shipping more expensive packages and the rates are going up again.

I guess the reason for this blog is really the fact that the letter I got today had no post mark on it, not even bulk mailing rates. It did however have a computer generated signature of our congressman where a stamp would go.

Also in the body of the letter it ask me to GO ONLINE  and voice my opinion. Isn't that kind of contradicting what this letter was telling me is wrong with why the PO is going broke. Personally I have yet to figure out how they are going broke with all the people who sell on line and shipping items that cost more to do than mailing out a letter.

I guess what I will do is go to the site he ask me to go to for voiceing my opinion and then copying this blog and pasting it there. I am also going to write something on the back of the letter I got, make a copy of it and put it back in it's original unstamped envelope and mark it return to sender. I am sure it will not happen but it is worth a try.

Why should out politicians be exempt from rules we must abide by and why can they fill our mail boxes with FREE mail soliciting for the USPS telling us what is causing the money shortage?

Ok, got that out of my system and so now back to work listing items for sale on line which will cost lots more to mail than a letter. 

Hope you all have a great day and to those in bad weather areas please stay safe, warm and dry. 

Life is short, live it to the fullest and have a good time with it.

4 comments:

kornkountrytreasures said...

I'll have to check next time I get something from my congressman to see if they pay postage.

I will agree, that the post office has gotten way out of control, kinda like the federal government. No one is minding the store! That's why price have to keep going up!! But you are right.

We do have to support the post office, though. What would we do without it? So it's kind of a catch-22! Good blog!!

CurioCache said...

I'd be happy to send you the link to the information as to the real reason the post office is in trouble, and it has nothing to do with mis-management of funds, and everything to do with corporate greed. (I don't want to start a political debate on the OLA blog.)

chateycathey said...

Curio can you omail it to me. I have my own opinion but am always open for good info.

chateycathey said...

I think what upset me the most is that in the letter it ask me to sign up for his e-letters after he was telling me all about not using the USPS to mail letters and help the USPS stay afloat. Just struck me wrong.